Sunday, January 15, 2012

Lucille's Smokehouse BBQ Southern Mac and Cheese


Review: Went out to Lucille's the other night for some ribs and brisket.  I knew they would have mac and cheese so I got that and cheese grits for the sides. The grits were okay, too much onion in them and they weren't fried, just plain. The mac side however was surprisingly tasty. It was cavatappi pasta, which isn't a bad pasta, but every cavatappi mac and cheese I've had has just been from okay to not that good. Red Robin, Jack's Urban Eats, and TGI Fridays Frozen all use cavatappi and they are average at best. I thought perhaps the reason they don't come out as good was because the noodle so large or something, but no... this mac was great!
The cheese was very thick and creamy, but it wasn't very sharp in flavor. That would usually be a bad thing because if it's not sharp or spicy, there isn't much to it... but, the thickness made the flavor linger and boosted the taste of the dish. I have a feeling that since it was "Southern" style they likely used a good amount of processed cheese food to go along with the real cheese in it which usually I frown upon. However, I have been eating so much Gruyere and Aged Vermont Cheddar and other fancy cheese that I missed the greasy goodness of the fake stuff. They topped it with some fresh cheddar and it was served very hot. Next time I go there, I'm going to try and order it as a main dish. Perhaps use my Internet powerz to even get it comped perhaps.
Aftertaste: The flavor did stick around and it complemented the ribs and brisket well. Didn't linger as sour, the cheese did stick alot in my mouth.
7 Minute test: I have a feeling this will thicken up really quick since it is processed, but the serving was so small as a side that I didn't really have time to test it out.
Advice: I went through it so quick since it was just one of the sides. They don't give you much in the side, so ordering it as a main dish is recommended if you really want to enjoy it. I don't know if they do that, but that's definitely going to be something I ask for next time.
Rating: 8.5

No comments:

Post a Comment