Sunday, July 3, 2011

Jack's Urban Eats Mac and Cheese

Review: I got 2 suggestions for this one so I decided to go while I was in the Sac area. I had never been to Jack's before so it was not at all what i expected. It seemed like everyone was ordering the Mac so right off the bat it gave a good impression. The easiest way to describe it is it is like Red Robin's Mac without all the grease and cheese on top. The they use Cavatappi pasta like Red Robin and TGI Fridays' frozen mac. For some reason every time I get this pasta it is not creamy. It might be the pasta is retaining too much water and is releasing it into the sauce making it watery. In any affect, the pasta was cooked to the right tenderness and had good flavor, but the cheese sauce disappointed. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but it was just way too soupy. I added some hot sauce to give it a little kick, but it just didn't get up to par. The only redeeming quality is that the sauce ended up being a pretty nice dipping sauce for the Tri Tip sandwich I got which on its own was fantastic. If anything, I'd go there for that.
Aftertaste: The aftertaste wasn't terrible but wasn't too pleasant either. It didn't have me wanting more that say, a Stouffers might do.
7 minute test: After adding the hot sauce it was easy to see the water separating from the cheese. Kinda grossed me out. Why do people mac macaroni soup. Oh well.
Rating: 6.5 It wasn't terrible, but wasn't fantastic. It was edible and decent.

No comments:

Post a Comment