Sunday, July 3, 2011

Safeway Hot Food Deli Mac and Cheese

Review: We were at the store today picking up some chicken @ the deli and I decided to try out the Mac and Cheese since it was fresh. I'm betting you have to get it fresh or else it's gunna be gross. I got lucky and they had just put it out. It was very very good. My wife and I's friends Jen and Dave tried it with their kids and said it was good and that they thought of me. Boy I must be this famous mac and cheese guy. Anyway, the pasta was very tender, and the cheese was.... fantastic! It tasted more homemade than homemade claims at restaurants. It's one of the few Macs that uses genuine cheddar and gets a good rating. Most of the other good ones have to cheat and use other cheeses. It was creamy and gooey with a sharp taste that really let me taste the cheese. Very similar to Stouffer's without all the sodium and preservatives. Plus, the price point of $3.79 per pound is great considering how fresh it is.
Aftertaste: Not too much of an aftertaste, wasn't bad though. It's likely because it did not have as much salt in it.
7 minute test: This is where it takes a slight hit. After sitting for more than 2-3 minutes, it will mold into whatever shape it sat in. Thats most likely because of the fresh cheese, but it looks kinda gross. Visual appeal does matter, but not as much as flavor, which it passed after both 7 minutes and even a reheat.
Rating: 8 It deserves a solid good rating. It isn't incredible, but very good and worth getting if you see them put it out fresh. I'd likely avoid it if it looks like it's been sitting a while though.

No comments:

Post a Comment