Thursday, January 24, 2013

Nugget Market Fried Mac and Cheese Ball

So I was out to lunch for the day, wandering around Nugget looking for something good and as soon as I saw Mac and Cheese in the hot food deli, it was on. I was somewhat hesitant to get a deep fried mac and cheese balls because I have not had pleasant experiences with attempts. The only decent one I've actually had was the one at TGI Friday's. Not only does that dish not exist anymore. I don't even think the chain does. Here is the review:Review: I feared it would end up being similar to the other deep fried mac balls I've had before and unfortunately it was. For some reason, they always want to put at least a quarter inch of breading around the entire ball of mac. I don't know if it's to prevent leakage or what, but it's so much in excess. A 2x2 square of 1/4 inch deep fried breading is quite a bit to eat, but then realize you have 6 sides to the cube. So you are eating 6 cubic inches of breading, and only a few bites of mac. See below.

It's something that just seems to plague restaurants and markets. Perhaps I'll try to figure it out.
Cheese: The cheese sauce was a standard cheddar sauce similar to Stouffer's or other frozens, which lead me to believe that they were likely frozen and shipped to the market rather than prepared in house.
Pasta: Regular elbow macaroni, it was actually quite tender but thats expected when pasta is frozen and reheated. Nothing special to it, it was decent.
Aftertaste: There was so much breading I couldnt eat it all. It did somewhat stick in my mouth and just felt like I ate a bunch of bread.
7-Minute Test: There really isn't a way to tell as far as the Mac as it is enclosed, but the outside breading is so thick and greasy that it would likely not be very good later since it has probably been reheated so many times.
Advice: I'm not sure if it would make any of a difference if you get it when they put it out or not because it was likely prepared weeks prior then frozen.
Rating: 4.5

No comments:

Post a Comment